Monday, June 2, 2008

CATHOLICS AND PROSTITUTES


When my son was in 5th grade, his music/theater teacher chose him to portray Dr. King Jr. in a school program. The greatest of his tasks was to memorize and recite with feeling an excerpt from Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech. Being the independent soul my son is, he insisted that he needed no help in learning his part, so I didn't pursue the issue. The night of the program I was beaming with pride as Adrian began his speech.....and I quote!" From every mountainside, let freedom ring. And when we allow freedom to ring – when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, PROSTITUTES (should have been Protestants) and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: Free at last, free at last. Thank God almighty, we are free at last."

I always did think those Catholics had more fun than us Methodists.....hehe

No comments: